Welcome to Heilbronn University
Studierenden-Gruppe kommt aus Gebäude eine Treppe hinunter

Are you an international student? Have you been admitted to a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme at Heilbronn University? Congratulations and welcome to HHN!

The International Student Support supports international degree seeking students before and during their stay at HHN.

You will find the most important information on this website.

Checklist for international students

Before arriving in Germany

Congratulations on receiving your admission to study at Heilbronn University!

In order to begin your studies, you must enrol by the deadline stated in your letter of admission.

user avatar
B.A. Henrike Mielke
Contact person for questions about the enrolment process and required documents

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

If you are an EU/EFTA national, the visa requirements do not apply to you. However, most non-EU/EFTA nationals must apply for a student visa. Please check in advance whether a visa is required for you:

The visa application process can take several months. It is therefore recommended that you make an appointment with your local German embassy or consulate as early as possible.

You must apply for a study/education visa, which is a so-called D visa (national visa). The study visa is usually valid for 90 days and can be converted into a permanent residence permit after arrival in Germany. Please do NOT apply for a Schengen visa (C visa).

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

The state of Baden-Württemberg has been charging tuition fees for international students from non-EU/EEA countries in the amount of 1,500 euros per semester since the winter semester 2017/18.

You will find information on bank details and the purpose of payment in your letter of admission.

In some cases, it is possible to be exempted from the fees:

Arrange an appointment with your landlord or landlady to hand over the keys in good time before your arrival.

Students who live in the halls of residence of the Studierendenwerk Heidelberg will receive the contact details of the caretaker from the hall of residence management to organise the handover of keys.

Explore Heilbronn University's four locations virtually in a 360°- tour before you arrive.

After entering Germany

Every person who moves to Germany or moves within Germany must register their place of residence with the city or municipality within two weeks.

Students moving to Heilbronn must register at the central citizens' office in Heilbronn town hall or at the citizens' offices in the city districts within two weeks of moving in.

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

Students from EU countries who already have a bank account that can be used for SEPA direct debits do not need a German bank account.

For other students, it is advisable to open an account in Germany in order to make regular payments (e.g. rent and broadcasting license fee).

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

There are many different ticket options: from single tickets to subscriptions. We have summarised the most common options for students in the ILIAS course.

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

Before the start of the semester

If you have any questions about the university's IT services, please contact the IT department ("Rechenzentrum") via ticket@hs-heilbronn.de.

The semester schedule contains all important dates in the semester.

Some degree programmes organise an introductory event at the beginning of the semester to welcome their new students. This provides an overview of the degree programme, gives important information about the study programme and offers a good opportunity to get to know fellow students.

In cooperation with the AStA, Heilbronn University organises further events during the orientation week that enable students to make further contacts at HHN.

In order to receive a CampusCard, the following requirements must be met:

  • Activated data center account 
  • Complete enrollment documents (no blocking notice missing documents)
  • Passport photo uploaded (in the online enrollment at e-campus)

If these requirements are met, you will receive a registration email for the CampusCard at your university email address (matriculationnumber@stud.hs-heilbronn.de)

Then follow the link in the mail (confirm terms and conditions, upload picture ...)

You will then receive an activation email on matriculationnumber@stud.hs-heilbronn.de

If these steps have been carried out correctly, card production will take place in a timely manner. You will receive the CampusCard from the person responsible for your degree program at the Student Administration Office by post (within one week). 

If you have any questions about the CampusCard, please get in touch with the contact person for your degree programme at the Registration Office:

The Studium Generale is a general education programme offered by Heilbronn University for students and staff. The Studium Generale programme does not include (non-curricular) seminars and courses offered by the university. However, there are students who can take courses from the Studium Generale as part of their degree programme (information can be found in their Study and Examination Regulations / "SPO"). The language courses are also offered as part of the "Studium Generale" programme.

International students who wish to take part in a German course and already have some knowledge of German must take the placement test.

The date for the central placement test can be found on the following homepage:

If you are unable to attend the test, please contact the coordination of the language department.

Students who have no knowledge of German at all do not have to take the placement test. They will be placed directly in the A1.1 German courses. Please contact the coordination of the language department.

user avatar
M.Ed. Venüs Güzel
Coordinator of the language programme in the Studium Generale

AIM also offers free German courses:

Detailed information can be found in the ILIAS course of the "International Student Support".

After completing your studies

Have you successfully completed your studies? Congratulations!

Find a job in Germany

If you would like to work in Germany after your studies, the International Career Service is here to help you. During your studies, it offers a comprehensive counselling service for international students on the topic of "Working in Germany".

In addition, the Welcome Center Heilbronn-Franken also supports international workers in their job search in the region.

Do a doctorate at HHN

If you have decided to return to your home country after your studies, please follow the steps below.

  • Rental agreement: Please note the notice period of your rental agreement. As a rule, this is three months. Inform your landlord or landlady in good time and in writing that you are moving out.

  • Health insurance: Inform your health insurance company about your departure from Germany. Please note that you must have health insurance until your last day in Germany. If you plan to stay in Germany, you do not have to cancel your health insurance. Ask your insurance company about changing tariffs.

  • Broadcasting licence fee (Rundfunkbeitrag): You can cancel your registration for the broadcasting licence fee (GEZ) here.

  • Other contracts: Cancel other contracts and subscriptions (e.g. ticket, telephone, gym) in writing, observing the cancellation period specified in the contract.

If you move out of a flat and do not move into a new flat in Germany, you must deregister with the responsible authority.

Deregistration is also necessary if you move to another flat within Germany.

Deregistration is possible at the earliest one week before moving out.

The International Student Support provides services only for international degree-seeking students who intend to complete their entire Bachelor's or Master's study programme at HHN.

International exchange students (incomings) who only spend one or two semesters at HHN as part of an exchange programme are supervised by coordinators for incoming students in the International Office (io-incomings@hs-heilbronn.de) and by the coordinators for international relations in the faculties.  

Contact persons for exchange students