General Information

Exchange students from partner universities

If you would like to study at our University for one or two semesters as an exchange student from one of our partner universities, you can find all of the important information that you need in advance listed below.


If you would like to study at Heilbronn University and your home university is not one of our partner universities:                               

Please send your request via e-mail to our International Office:

Freemovers have to pay the full semester fee and tuition fees where applicable.
Information on tuition fees can be found here
Please contact the responsible German embassy in your home country regarding entry requirements and the documents you will need to apply for a visa in good time. Keep in mind that the processing time for a visa can take up to several weeks or even months.

Usually you need a visa for study purposes or internships (no tourist visa).                                                                                                  

In order to receive a visa, the German embassy currently requires students to have a minimum personal income of 861 euros per month.

Travel restrictions due to the Covid 19 pandemic

Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, there are travel restrictions on entry from many countries. There is an obligation to test/prove upon entry. In addition, there is a digital entry registration requirement, a proof requirement and a quarantine requirement when entering from certain areas. For more information, please visit the homepage of the German Foreign Office.

You can also find out about the designation of international risk areas on the website of the Robert Koch Institute.

Please keep up to date with the risk classification of your home country.

Students from EU countries must present a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) for enrolment.

Students from Great Britain must present a valid GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) for enrolment.

Students from countries outside the EU must present a private health insurance without limitation of liability or take out a students' health insurance with a German health insurance company. If you decide to take out a German health insurance policy, we can, upon request, send you the required forms.

The academic year at Heilbronn University of Applied Sciences is divided into two semesters:

Winter Semester

Official duration: 1st September - 28th February

Beginning of lecture period: end of September/beginning of October

German course for incoming students: 3 weeks before lectures begin

Introduction for incoming students: 1,5 weeks before lectures begin

End of lecture period: end of January

Beginning of exam period: end of January

End of exam period: approx. 20th February

For a more detailed schedule of the current winter semester, please click

Summer Semester

Official duration: 1st March - 31st August

Beginning of lecture period: mid-March

Introduction programme for Incomings: 1,5 weeks before lectures begin

End of lecture period: end of June

Beginning of exam period: end of June

End of exam period: end of July

For a more detailed schedule of the current summer semester, please click


You can find detailed information on studying in Heilbronn in our information brochure for exchange students:

Information brochure for incoming students

For more information about accommodation, please click here

Erasmus+ is the largest education programme in the European Union and offers students, teachers and higher education staff the opportunity to gain experience abroad.

For more information on the Erasmus+ programme, please contact your Erasmus Exchange Coordinator at your home university.

You find further information on studying with disabilities here.

Logo Familienfreundliche Hochschule
Logo Weltoffene Hochschulen gegen Fremdenfeindlichkeit
Logo Charta der Vielfalt
Logo der HSW Hochschulförderation SüdWest