Working and studying

Students from the European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA)

If you come from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you are entitled to work up to 20 hours per week while studying. If you exceed this, you’ll be required to pay into the German social security system.

Students from outside Non-EU/EEA

You are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year.

If you take a job as a student assistant or research assistant at University of Heilbronn, the 120-day rule does not apply to you. However, you must notify Heilbronn Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) if you take up this type of work.

Heilbronn University applies strict working restrictions on students.

If you take a voluntary internship during your semester break, this is regarded as normal work, even if it’s unpaid. This means that every day of your internship is subtracted from your 120-day credit balance. However, it does not apply if you take mandatory internships which are required for your study and you can work for more hours. You can reclaim this by submitting a tax return at the end of the year.

Please check the website of Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs for more information about minimum wage.

Logo Familienfreundliche Hochschule
Logo Weltoffene Hochschulen gegen Fremdenfeindlichkeit
Logo Charta der Vielfalt
Logo der HSW Hochschulförderation SüdWest